HomeSchool Software: Page Rendering (Also ImageMagick Text Example)

Last couple days have had me working on the page rendering functionality of the HomeSchool software.  I’ve made some design decisions (for now) to speed up development like fixed 8.5″ x 11″ pages.  Hopefully later I will be able to go back and improve some aspects, but for now, time is of the essence.

Here is an example page render without the photographs included.  Still need a UI for selecting photographs and positioning them on the white area of the page.

At the bottom, see an ImageMagick Text Example about the python code used to render multiple text areas and color blocks on one image…

It took me a long time to figure out how to use ImageMagick to place multiple text areas on one image.  Here are some keywords for google:

ImageMagick, ImageMagick multiple text areas, ImageMagick pdf rendering, ImageMagick text.

      PrimerFont = join(App.Path, 'Static', 'Primerb.ttf')
      PrimerFontBold = join(App.Path, 'Static', 'Primer.ttf')
      RenderFile = join(TempDir, 'Render.jpg')

      # Build the full image
      subprocess.check_call((
        '/usr/bin/convert',

        # Setup the background
        '-size', '2550x3300',
        'xc:white',

        # Title Bar
        '-fill', 'grey14', '-draw', 'rectangle 0,0 2550,300',

        # Summary bar
        '-fill', 'RoyalBlue4', '-draw', 'rectangle 0,300 2550,600',

        # Description Bar
        '-fill', 'LightGrey', '-draw', 'rectangle 0,600 2550,1050',

        # Now draw the Name
        '(',
          '-density'    , '300',
          '-fill'       , 'white',
          '-background' , 'grey14',
          '-font'       , PrimerFont,
          '-size'       , '1650x150',
          '-gravity'    , 'West',
          '-pointsize'  , '20',
          'caption:'    + self.Book.Name,
        ')',
        '-gravity', 'NorthWest', '-geometry', '+150+150', '-composite',

        # Now draw the Date
        '(',
          '-density'    , '300',
          '-fill'       , 'white',
          '-background' , 'grey14',
          '-font'       , PrimerFont,
          '-size'       , '600x150',
          '-gravity'    , 'East',
          '-pointsize'  , '20',
          'caption:' + Activity.Date.strftime('%B %d, %Y'),
        ')',
        '-gravity', 'NorthEast', '-geometry', '+150+150', '-composite',

        # Now draw the Summary
        '(',
          '-density'    , '300',
          '-fill'       , 'white',
          '-background' , 'RoyalBlue4',
          '-font'       , PrimerFontBold,
          '-size'       , '2250x300',
          '-gravity'    , 'Center',
          '-pointsize'  , '20',
          'caption:'    + Activity.Summary.replace("\n", " "),
        ')',
        '-gravity', 'North', '-geometry', '+0+300', '-composite',

        # Now draw the Description
        '(',
          '-density'    , '300',
          '-fill'       , 'black',
          '-background' , 'LightGrey',
          '-font'       , PrimerFont,
          '-size'       , '2250x450',
          '-gravity'    , 'Center',
          '-pointsize'  , '14',
          'caption:'    + Activity.Description.replace("\n", "\\n"),
        ')',
        '-gravity', 'North', '-geometry', '+0+600', '-composite',

        # Now draw the Page
        '(',
          '-density'    , '300',
          '-fill'       , 'black',
          '-background' , 'white',
          '-font'       , PrimerFont,
          '-size'       , '2250x150',  #entire right half minus 150pt margin
          '-gravity'    , 'Center',
          '-pointsize'  , '14',
          'caption:'    + 'Page {0}'.format(self.PageNumber),
        ')',
        '-gravity', 'South', '-geometry', '+0+150', '-composite',

#        NameFile, '-geometry', '+0+0', '-composite',
#        DateFile, '-geometry', '+1275+0', '-composite',
#        SummaryFile, '-geometry', '+0+150', '-composite',
#        DescriptionFile, '-geometry', '+0+450', '-composite',

        RenderFile,
        ))

Home School Software Update: Portfolio Time

It’s that time of year again… Time to get the log and portfolio to the Altoona Area School District.  One problem — the software isn’t quite ready!

However, I’ve been making daily progress on getting the “output” working.  Here is how it is structured in this initial version:

  • You can create a book, “Eli Daniel Garber 2010-2011 Portfolio” for example.
  • Activities are added to the book, one activity per page.
  • The activity summary and description, date and pictures come along.
  • You can move the pictures around, crop, and choose the exact ones you want.
  • Pages in the book can be sorted any way you want.
  • Once the book is “ready”, you can output a print-quality PDF.  This PDF could be printed or sent to a printer to turn into a hardback book.
So far, we have recorded about 500 activities this year covering nearly 200 days — and we are still catching up on things that didn’t get entered.  One of the neat aspects of this project is to be able to really see what we’ve been up to all year.
Due to time constraints, I’m just focusing on getting good output.  Bells and whistles (chapters, cover pages, extra documents, table of contents, etc…) will have to come later.
Also, I added extensive filtering to the activity list, to help make it faster and more manageable.  Here are a couple of screen shots: