It’s that time of year again… Time to get the log and portfolio to the Altoona Area School District. One problem — the software isn’t quite ready!
However, I’ve been making daily progress on getting the “output” working. Here is how it is structured in this initial version:
- You can create a book, “Eli Daniel Garber 2010-2011 Portfolio” for example.
- Activities are added to the book, one activity per page.
- The activity summary and description, date and pictures come along.
- You can move the pictures around, crop, and choose the exact ones you want.
- Pages in the book can be sorted any way you want.
- Once the book is “ready”, you can output a print-quality PDF. This PDF could be printed or sent to a printer to turn into a hardback book.
So far, we have recorded about 500 activities this year covering nearly 200 days — and we are still catching up on things that didn’t get entered. One of the neat aspects of this project is to be able to really see what we’ve been up to all year.
Due to time constraints, I’m just focusing on getting good output. Bells and whistles (chapters, cover pages, extra documents, table of contents, etc…) will have to come later.
Also, I added extensive filtering to the activity list, to help make it faster and more manageable. Here are a couple of screen shots: