Having the need to store a lot of small tools and parts within easy reach, I used a bunch of extra 4″ PVC pipe cut into 11″ lengths and framed with 2×12 lumber.
Ever lose track of how much flour, sugar, milk, eggs, soap, razors, spices, motor oil, filters, nails, screws, glue, paper, staples, etc… you have on hand?
Ever shop based on hunger, rather than diciplined restocking?
Ever want to have an inventory of groceries at your house, so you don’t have to run to the store for everything?
Our objective is to keep consistent inventory levels of common products around the house, so we never run out of things that we should have on hand. To that end, I’ve been adding some basic household inventory tracking data to the Home School software. It has (or will have) the following features:
From that data, you will be able to pull the following information out of the system:
You will be able to pop on, print out a list of items that need inventoried, and hand it to the kids with a pencil and clipboard to go about filling out how much there actually is. Excellent math practice, especially if you deal in raw units like oz, lbs, quarts, etc… — the students will have to add/multiply/convert the units that are on the items they are counting.
For Example, you could specify that you want 4 bottles of dish soap around, or 96 ounces of dish soap around. The difference is that they will need to multiply 24 oz per bottle * 3 bottles on hand = 72 ounces — time to buy another bottle.
Here are some early screen shots:
2010-2011 was the first year that we were required by PA law to report our schooling activities to the Altoona Area School district. (simply because our oldest turned 8)
Naturally, the topic of Log and portfolio came up needing solved.
Having been home educated as a child, I recall the massive effort it took to remain organized enough to be able to assemble a really good portfolio at the end of the year. Also, the log book needed to be throughly kept to provide record of education activities.
Here is a brief list of items that need improved:
Well, after a lot of here and there, I decided we needed a database. So my wife and I designed a database that would handle a number of aspects:
The ultimate goal is to be able to send off for a printed book with the above content, and turn that into the school district.
I thought that a web interface would be appropriate. So here is where I am at after a couple days of tinkering around…
If anyone expresses interest in seeing more of this, post a comment.